Thursday, 3 January 2008

Flutterbies - The End is Nigh

Over New Year, we went to stay with J’s sister in Amsterdam. We've had a lovely time but I have not been able to blog and there is something I’ve been itching to say. I have finished the stitching on Flutterbies!

After my Good Stitching Day, I only had a few details to complete and over the Christmas period, I managed to find an hour here and there to gradually do them.

First I completed the final Flutterby. As I don’t feel I know my youngest brother very well, I decided to keep this butterfly simple and not add any fussy details. Like my brother, I think he has turned out jolly fine.

© Jennifer Ashley Taylor/Carol-Anne Conway

I did however want to add some detail to the hind wings of the purple butterfly. Earlier I had stitched a spot in #1 metallic gold but was not pleased with it. I found it rather difficult to remove the metallic thread stitching without damaging the silk foundation. I thought for a long time about how else I could add a gold spot to each wing. Then, while tidying away some things before Christmas, I came across the materials for The Plimoth Jacket sampler. The kit included some gold spangles for stitching onto a scissor fob I have yet to make. On their blog, The Embroiderer’s Story, there is a fascinating account of the research and investigation into reproducing spangles for the Jacket (and currently, the tale of the Gilt Sylke Twist is being gradually revealed). The spangles in the kit turned out to be just the right size and it was a simple job to stitch them in place with a 1-2 twist of pink silk.

© Jennifer Ashley Taylor/Carol-Anne Conway

The Shibori Samurai has waited patiently to receive his antennae. I knew what I wanted to do, but was not sure if I would succeed in creating the look I wanted. I had put this task off until there were no more excuses for not doing it. I stitched the left antenna first and it came out exactly as I intended.

© Jennifer Ashley Taylor/Carol-Anne Conway

When it came to the second antenna, the bulbous end came out a strange shape. The second time I stitched it, it came out exactly the same again and although the third time it was slightly less bent, it was more or less the same shape. There comes a point where you think, this thing ‘wants’ to be this shape and you have to go with it. Curiously, it reminds me of my Dad’s eyebrow, so it’s staying.

© Jennifer Ashley Taylor/Carol-Anne Conway

I wanted the antennae to be strong and proud, like my Dad, and for them to bring a little more emphasis to this butterfly, which was in danger of being overshadowed by those around it.

© Jennifer Ashley Taylor/Carol-Anne Conway

To be continued ...

5 comments:

Jane said...

Well done, looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos. jane

paulahewitt said...

These are beautiful - such a perfect result...I wouldnt even know you'd struggled with the antennae and unpicked - it looks great as it is.

KV said...

These butterflies are breath-taking! Awesome needlework . . .


Kathy V in NM

Jill said...

These are just gorgeous. You do beautiful work. What a pleasure to see them. Thanks for sharing

Jackline said...

Hi Nice Blog .If your time is less valuable, then it is probably less worthwhile to web based punch clock .