Wednesday 26 January 2011

That's my Himotaba, update

I emailed the Culture, Community and Rural Affairs team and the county council web team. First thing this morning I had a reply informing me that my message had been passed to the Heritage and Museum Department and that they would try to respond in approximately 3-5 days. They responded in approximately 3-5 hours. The picture has been removed from their website and I received a gracious apology from the Senior Keeper of Printed and
Topographical Collections
Department of Culture, Community and Rural Affairs and from the manager of the museum.

They did not disclose whether they selected the image from the web or if it was supplied by the “...local experts and tutors ...” !

8 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I am glad this is resolved and hope that a lesson was learned there.

Artists deserve acknowledgement, don't they?

Susan Elliott said...

Way to go CA!!!

Elizabeth Braun said...

Yes, I agree that artists should be acknowledged. I think I would have let them continue to use it, but on condition that I was credited.=) Glad you contacted them though, too many people would just have felt cross, complained and done nothing.

Deepa said...

Great that the issue got resolved so quickly.Carol,may be you should consider watermarking your images just to avoid problems like this in future.

Rachel said...

Yes, watermark your images. It's a bit of a chore to do all the old stuff as well, but there is software that will do watermarking in batches, and once you have the discipline of watermarking each image before uploading it you barely notice you are doing it.

Then at least anyone image-thieving would be reminded of the existence of copyright!

Christine said...

It sounds like they didn't really know they did anything wrong, and I am glad they responded so quickly. I guess I should watermark my personal JE images, too. There are ways to embed code which renders them nonvisible unless they're published on your blog, but I don't know how to do that.

Good work, and thanks for keeping us informed.

Christine
Oakton, VA, USA

Christine said...

Your experience motivated me to (finally) include copyright info as required by the JEC. I used Impression for Iphoto, hope it is as good as they say.....
I think you could still crop out some of it, so maybe a watermark is better, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that just yet.

Sue said...

Well done go Girl, just a shame you din't find out how they got the picture X