Tuesday 11 January 2011

Parallel Lines

Ideally, all of the couching should be done before stitching the poppies. The beads are strung onto a thread which is couched into position with a second thread. During couching the string of beads is help in position by winding the thread around a pin. The raised beads of the flowers make it difficult to position the string of beads accurately and the couching thread keeps snagging on the crystals. I think that the frequent snagging and tugging is the reason that the thread securing the large crystal broke!

I had two lessons when I began Poppy Pouch and wanted to use the class time to learn how to stitch the flowers. Once I’d started them, I could not tear myself away from the beautiful blooms; the remaining couching had to wait until the flowers were finished!

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I do enjoy couching. I have spoken before about how I can lose myself in the rhythm of the stitching. And watching those rows of beads gradually filling the space is very satisfying.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

They are not perfect, there are one or two gaps between the beads, but they are straight and perfectly parallel.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy stitching

6 comments:

LilyStitch said...

Your beading is looking amazing! Lov'n this journey - thank you for sharing. Learning JE beading is in my bucket list.

Angela said...

Wow this is brilliant Carol. I can't believe all those bead lines have to be couched in, all that fiddly work would take me forever, lol.

MeganH said...

Wow! Very straight lines! It looks lovely :-)

Susan Elliott said...

Hey CA!! That looks great!! I love the couching too...and the beading...

Rachel said...

Those stripes look gorgeous!

Sue said...

Looking amazing can't wait to see it for really thanks for sharing Sue XX