Wednesday 19 January 2011

Seed Beading

They say that the more you practice something the better you get. Well, I have had a few opportunities to practice being random now and I think that I might be getting the hang of it. Certainly I am growing in confidence and the word 'random' no longer strikes fear into my heart. I might even go so far as to say I am beginning to enjoy it.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The area around the pansies is filled with Tataki-ume, seed stitch with beads. I have already used this technique on Calm Flow and found a method that works for me. In fact, I am becoming so laissez faire about the whole random thing that I hardly employ technique at all now and simply let the beads tell me where they would like to go ;-)

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

As on Calm Flow, the beads are closely placed within the available space and not having to think about the spacing between beads certainly makes the process easier.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The space around the flowers is not terribly big and was filled in three short stitching sessions.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

One side of the bag is now complete, so all I have to do is stitch the second side in exactly the same way! I am not a big fan of doing things again but the bag has two sides so it has to be done. My friend Sue, who has already completed both sides, tells me that the second side goes in much quicker than the first. I’ve made a good start on couching the rows of white, silver and gold beads. I plan to do all of the couching before stitching the flowers this time. Although I don’t mind couching, the flowers are much more fun to do, so they will be my reward when the couching is done.

Happy Stitching.

8 comments:

Digitalgran said...

Beautiful beadwork. You may not blog regularly, but they are all worth reading.

meri said...

:) This is beautiful!
I admire your skills working such little things like beads.
I know you go frequently to Amsterdam - for sure you've already gone to the Tassen Museum every time I go to A'dam I have to visit it...

Angela said...

I'm exactly the same and don't like repeating, but in this case it'll be well worth the effort I'm sure.

Sue said...

Beautiful can't wait to see for really from your friend Sue XX

Susan Elliott said...

Congratulations you random generator you!!!

MeganH said...

*just lovely* !

Rachel said...

Truly "random" stitching is very difficult to do, but you do seem to have the trick of it now.

Heather Beading said...

Absolutely beautiful. The blue really stands out on a white background. Love your work.