Friday 7 January 2011

Poppy Progress

I am lucky in that my office closes for the entire Christmas/New Year period giving me a whole 12 days off. As for everyone, this is a busy time of year for me but I usually have 2 or 3 days with nothing in particular planned when I imagine I will get some stitching done. And usually it turns out to be a figment of my imagination. This year proved to be no exception and I barely picked up a needle during the entire break. In fact, since I finished Loving Couple I’ve done very little stitching but I have managed to squeeze in a little time with Poppy Pouch now and then. This design lends itself quite nicely to short sessions; areas such as a leaf can be completed in about an hour.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

While I worked on Loving Couple, I had stowed Poppy Pouch in my frame carrier. When I took it back out the largest crystal was missing!

Fortunately, I found it in the bottom of the carrier. Instead of simply replacing the crystal, I decided to reverse stitch the centre of the flowers and redo them incorporating some of the bicone beads supplied with the design. At first I had substituted the bicones for small margarita beads; I was concerned that the bicones would not cover the printed guidelines. With all the crystals removed I could see that the lines were covered by the beads of the petals.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The margaritas and the bicones are both fabulous so I have no preference between the version 1 and version 2 so I may as well stick with the bicones as they are currently in place.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Picking up from where I had left off in August, it didn’t take many sessions to complete the flowers and their leaves.

Happy Stitching.

9 comments:

Deepa said...

Wow!!Beautiful!!Love the way the different shades of blue are used.Waiting to see the completed work.

LilyStitch said...

Ahhhh.... the beauty of beads! Gorgeous work.

Angela said...

Wow, this is gorgeous. I've only tackle a few beading projects in the past and even the smallest pieces are so time consuming. I can only imagine the amount of work that has gone in to these beautiful poppies

Front Range Stitcher said...

Oh my, you really do inspire me to pursue beading. Your work is awesome! So happy you had some time off to stitch and share it with us.

Suztats said...

Beautiful shading on the flowers!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, hows the second side coming Sue XX

Lorraine said...

This is exquisite!

Susan Elliott said...

It's beautiful CA. I really like that last picture!! You're making me want to pull out my poppy purse....

Rachel said...

Lovely. I guess now I'm going to be adding beading to my list of techniques to try, because I would love to create something like this!