Friday 23 March 2007

Chrysanthemum - 2

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I completed the stitching on the petal to the right of the centre petal. This one has less padding than the two either side of it so that it recedes slightly. When two or more elements of a motif are adjacent to each other, like these petals, the foreground elements are always stitched first. So that they remain separate, a technique called “one point open space” is employed. This simply means that a narrow space (the point of a needle) is left between the elements.

Whilst stitching this petal, I had to observe four principles.

1) Gradually rotate the angle of each stitch to maintain a consistent angle to the centre of the petal
2) Space the stitches so that they just touch and don’t bunch up
3) Keep a neat edge to the shape of the petal
4) Keep an even gap between the adjacent petals

I found it difficult to place each stitch correctly and maintain an even twist on the thread. I don’t think I have stitched this petal as nicely as the others; in particular the first stitch at the tip of the petal looks strange. I think that I may redo this petal!

Happy Stitching