Sunday 7 February 2010

Fourth Time Lucky

I nearly met my match in cord #4 and some sections of this cord have been stitched four times. Things would appear to be going well and then suddenly the angles would be wrong and I could not work out how to place the next stitch. Three times I cut through two or three inches back to where I felt certain the angles were correct and started again. I don't think that any technique, Japanese Embroidery or otherwise, has challenged me so greatly and more that once I wondered if I had met my match.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

This is the first time that the frustration I have felt trying to stitch something to my satisfaction has nearly eclipsed the pleasure of stitching. But to give up on this cord would be to give up on the whole Phase and I was not about to do that.

The curve on this section of cord is very slight and I think because of that I was not compensating for it. Not adjusting for the curve was throwing the angle of the stitches out.

Finally, I think I have the stitches at the correct angle and I was able to fade out the final section of the cord.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I don't think that this is perfect but I think that it is good enough. I certainly don't want to stitch it for a fifth time, nor do I think that I could do a better job if I did. I declare this cord FINISHED.

Happy Stitching

5 comments:

RobynK said...

Well done. 'They' say patience is a virtue. You are extremely virtuous.
Cheers
RobynK
New Zealand

Front Range Stitcher said...

How lovely! I'll enjoy following your progress. Exquisite stitching.

Elizabeth Braun said...

Well done for not giving up, CA! I know how you must have felt thougt as there have been parts of some projects that I've had to re-do over and over again that made me wonder if it was all worth it, like the mess I kept making of sewing up baby sister's red cushion. I don't know how often I had to re-do parts, but it was worth it to see her enjoy it so much.=)

Sue said...

Well done, beautiful. Look forward to seeing for real Sue X

Susan Elliott said...

Perseverance, thy name is Carol-Ann! Bravo for you! Even though JE is more about what you learn on your journey than that you have a final piece, that journey can sure be frustrating...what did your needle tell you through all of that?