I wasn’t entirely happy with the blue flower beads on the blue lace; they simply didn’t show up enough. I removed both these and the blue bi-cones from the blue ribbon seam and switched them over. I’m much happier with this arrangement; the bi-cones are dark enough to show up on the lace and the glass look so pretty on the pale blue 'ribbon'.
I also had concerns about the flower sequins on the blue lace. I know that I had originally thought about backing them with a pale pink sequin. When I looked again at that option I could see why I had rejected the idea - the sequins are too big for this location so I left the flower sequins as they are.
They lilac ribbon seam treatment is heavily embellished. Above the ribbon there is a row of silk ribbon flowers - rose buds alternated with daisy like flowers. On the original, the ‘dasies’ look like small metallic flower beads. I could not find any thing similar so used the coppery seed beads to create the flowers. On the original, small buttons are stitched below the ribbon with swags of seed beads strung between them. The buttons I have looked too heavy in this space so I substituted them for the clear flower sequins sitting on pale pink sequins and secured with a pale pink seed bead.
These are the same sequins used above on the lace; you can see them much better on the sequins. I quite like to use some components in a different way in two or three places; I think it helps to connect the separate areas. There are a lot of things I like about this seam treatment. The blue area of the central ‘fabric’ is adjacent to another pale blue ‘fabric’. On its own the lilac ribbon helped to separate them but the embellishments make this seam treatment much broader, gently breaking up all the blue and adding lots of textural interest.
The pink area of the flax leaf fabric has a button cluster. I am very uncertain about button clusters. Done well they can look stunning and add a lot of interest. My only previous attempt looks clumsy and contrived. To be successful I think you need either a huge stash or a carefully co-ordinated supply of buttons. My small supply of buttons was selvedge from various garments plus a selection of Mother of Pearl buttons picked up here and there. I found it difficult to come up with a pleasing assortment and then to fit the arrangement into the available space.
I don’t think it makes for a very interesting arrangement despite spending agonising over it. I love the metal button. It came from my Nan’s button tin many, many years ago. I used to rummage in her tin frequently and remember asking her one-day if I could have four buttons - this one and its pair and two square MOP buttons. I didn’t have any use for them; I just wanted them. This button is slightly squashed, its pair is more rounded but I thought the flatter one suited this arrangement.