Wednesday 1 August 2007

Playing Safe

I decided to use a holding stitch that I have done a couple of times before, that I know I can do, and like how it looks. Lattice holding is relatively simple but I like the quilted appearance it gives.

I used a 2-1 twist of the same colour silk as the foundation whenever I did this before, this time I used a single strand of #1 silver. The metallic thread sits on top of the silk more than the fine twist, which may also be because I stitched the foundation with a single strand of silk instead of two. That was because when I tried it with two strands, it looked heavier than the fore wings.

© Jennifer Ashley Taylor/Carol-Anne Conway

I am pleased with this; it looks delicate and does not dominate the fore wings. I have twisted a 6-1 pale blue and silver katayori to outline the hind wings, I think this will give a softer edge to the wing. I have also twisted a 6-1 black and silver katayori for the antennae. After twisting, these threads are wound around a glass, dampened, and left to dry naturally before it can be used.

Happy Stitching

1 comment:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by my blog and helping me with your input about my signature. I've just had a peek around your blog and must tell you your butterfly is simply gorgeous.