Thursday 2 August 2007

The Blue Eyed Boy is Done

The katayori that I intended to outline the hind wings with was too thick (again) so I decided to outline them with a line of staggered diagonal stitch in a single strand of #1 silver. I then couched the black and silver katayori with a single strand of #1 silver for the antennae. I like how how the antennae look. J says that this thread is also too thick. He is usually right about these things, but for now I am going to leave it in until the neighbouring butterflies are completed and I can see how things balance. I won't sink any of the ends until all the stitching is complete so he for now this butterfly is finished.

© Jennifer Ashley Taylor/Carol-Anne Conway

I am really pleased with my Blue Eyed Boy. For me long and short stitch is the most difficult technique I know, so I feel this is an acheivement.

One down, five to go and it is already August.

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

Deepa said...

Hi,

Your Blue Eyed Boy has turned out be rather 'handsome' :-) I just happened to glance through all your posts on Japanese Embroidery .The long and short stitch looks really good now. Well done!!!

Anonymous said...

This turned out really nice. I have been watching your progress.

I am very interested in trying out japanese embroidery. Thank you for putting your thoughts out with pictures.

What kind of fabric is the butterfly done on? Is this a purchased pattern and if so where did you get it? I tried to find the info reading back but didn't.

~Pam

coral-seas said...

Deepa and Pam, thank you both for your kind words.

The fabric used is silk and the design and materials were supplied by Jennifer Ashley Taylor
http://www.needleartworks.com/dsgnr/jat/class/cjat1.htm

My Phase designes are from the Japanese Embroidery Centre
http://www.japaneseembroidery.com/

You can also purchase kits from Midori Matsushima
http://www.midori-embroidery.com/je/index.htm

I would encourage anyone interested to learn, it is very rewarding, but I stongly recommend that you begin with a class or tutor.