Tuesday 8 February 2022

Happy Harikuyo

I have written about Harikuyo and Japanese needles a few times before

Shiny, Happy Needles
Festival of Needles
Harikuyo
A Needle in a Market
Needles and Pins
Sanjo-Honke Misuyabari, Kyoto © Carol-Anne Conway

When I began learning Japanese Embroidery, I attended a week long class in February each year. The festival of needles fell a few days before this class so I would spend the evening cleaning my needles and generally tidying my equipment and supplies in preparation of the up coming class.

It is tradition, in Japan, to rest your needles for Harikuyo and in the past I have followed this tradition but I think this applies mainly to people whose profession centers around stitching. My needles spend more time resting than I spend stitching so I will honour them this evening but doing some stitching.

Happy Harikuyo

2 comments:

Cath said...

I honoured my needles by using them tonight as well. Seeing that photo of Misuyabari, reminds me of my visit. Walking into the garden in front of the shop I felt like completed a great quest!

Rachel said...

That seems reasonable to me!