Sunday 13 February 2022

8 Lattice Holding (goban-osae)

While I enjoy the challenge of some of the more complex techniques, I very much appreciate the elegance of some of the simpler stitches. Lattice holding (Hl) covers the foundation with a lattice of thin threads. It is a decorative stitch that requires no additional embroidery on top. As with many simple techniques, accuracy is the key to success.
The lattice is created by stitching two layers of long stitches that cover the entire motif. The first is stitched at a forty-five degree angle to the foundation stitches. The second layer is stitched at right angles to the first. A fine thread is used. This does not necessarily need to be the same colour as the foundation. The stitches are tied down at each intersection using the same thread. As with diagonal holding, the couching stitches are made in the same direction as the foundation and pierce the foundation stitches and again, in my opinion, slightly longer couching stitches gives a more pleasing result.

I first used this technique on the pines on Hanayama and while it is not too bad, some of the angles are slightly off resulting in mismatched squares. Even minor defects in a simple, regular design can be very noticeable.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Despite my best efforts, a few of the holding stitches are slightly off on these cherries but I am pleased that I carefully aligned the lattice across the three. To my mind, a misalignment would have been distracting. Instead, I think they sit quietly and harmoniously together.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You're right, the simpler the technique, the more important to be accurate - I think you had good results here.

D1-D2 said...

Those cherry blossoms are so pretty <3