Monday 3 January 2022

On the Nineth Day of Christmas, Embroidery Gave to me ...

A Proud Peacock

Another designer from whom I have collected a number of kits that I am very much enjoying is Jenny Adin-Christie. Jenny was also brought to my attention by friends on the Cabinet of Curiosities Course. I think the first design of hers that I saw was The Brown Wren Etui and I don’t think I have ever seen anything quite like it before. Like Amy, some of Jenny’s kits are reminiscent of Casket toys but hers have a totally unique, contemporary take. Although I have the Wren kit in my stash, it was different bird that I decided to stitch first. The Peacock Etui joined Jenny’s flock a little later and the kit joined my stash as soon as it was released. I could not wait to get started with this gorgeous embroidery extravaganza!
© Jenny Adin-Christie/Carol-Anne Conway

I described how beautifully presented Jenny’s kits are when I wrote about the Gawthorpe Needlecase and the quality of the supplies and instructions. Every kit I have is of the same standard. One aspect of Jenny’s kits that I appreciate above all others is the amazing array of threads that are used. As gorgeous as they are, there was one substitution I wanted to make for the Peacock Etui.

The first area stitched are the feathers at the base of his tail. To me, they were crying out to be stitched in flat silk so I went through my silks to find those that most closely matched those provided. I almost regretted my decision to change the thread as stitching through three layers of wool and felt does not do flat silk any favours. But I am nothing if not stubborn so I persisted and was pleased that I had. I think my peacock can be proud of his plumage especially once the plate and sequins were added. The area around these feathers is satin stitched in chenille and wool and felt is even less gentle on silk chenille. This was another job for my size 12 Japanese needle and even with that weapon the chenille shredded terribly.
© Jenny Adin-Christie/Carol-Anne Conway

The real show stoppers on his tail are the “eyes”, as they should be. Each eye is first padded with a layer of felt but then they are stitched and embellished in a different ways with a variety of threads. Along the edge of the tail is zigzag of fettuccini ribbon. I have only used this thread in Jenny’s kits and I really like working with it.
© Jenny Adin-Christie/Carol-Anne Conway

Another thread that Jenny frequently uses in her designs that I really like working with is silk gimp. Here it is used to stitch the feathers on the Peacock's back.
© Jenny Adin-Christie/Carol-Anne Conway

All of that practice stitching detached buttonhole on the Spring Casket Keepsakes came in handy when it came to covering the body form; his head and long neck are covered in detached buttonhole spiralling around and around.
© Jenny Adin-Christie/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! GP

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! GP

Rachel said...

That peacock has Very Fine Feathers indeed!