Tuesday 28 December 2021

On the Thrid Day of Christmas, Embroidery Gave to me ...

An Embroidery Bridge Between East and West

The last time I mentioned Bridge BEW was in January 2013 and the last time it was seen, either on my blog or on my frame, was March 2011. This piece had in progress since November 2007, longer than any other of my Japanese embroideries. After I completed Queen of Flowers, that last of the nine Phase pieces, I was keen to complete some of the other pieces in hibernation, not least this one.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The last piece of stitching I had done back in 2011 was on the ribbon holding the string of balls. The ribbon is outlined with staggered diagonal stitches, a stitch that is easy to execute but one that I have found difficult to master. One problem, I think, is that I have always thought of this stitch as being the same as stem stitch where the needle enters the fabric and emerges from it on the design line. This gives a narrow line in which the stitches appear to twist around each other. Staggered diagonal stitches appear more as straight stitches especially when worked in flat silk. Staggered diagonal stitches are used extensively in the Phoenix and Pine. During the advanced class at High Leigh, Arata-san offered advice and demonstrated this stitch to me. Under his tutelage, I became more confident with this technique and I think my stitching improved. I need to practice it much more to make the length and angle of my stitches consistent. When I return to the Phoenix, I will get plenty of practice.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The space within the ribbons is filled with straight stitches using a boroyori thread. This is made with an uneven quantity of thread in each ply resulting in a bumpy, irregular thread. My first attempt on this design and, indeed, all previous attempts at using this thread, have been disappointing. The bumps tended to flatten out and leave only a scruffy, rather than interesting, finish. Towards the end of the Phoenix class, Arata-san demonstrated how to make boroyori and some of the other twist variations and gave some advice on stitching with boroyori which is the only twist, other than the basic twist, that can be stitched with. The key advice was to use a bigger needle. Originally, the largest needle I possessed was a size 10. I have subsequently added a size 11 and a size 12 to my needle felt. As the kimono silk that Bridge BEW is on is quite forgiving, I used size 12 this time and, finally, my boroyori looks the same stitched as it did when first made.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The remainder of the design was relatively simple, the brackets from which the ribbons and balls are suspended are couched twisted gold and silver. The vase is horizontal foundation and fuzzy effect in a stunning blue with couched gold details.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

This entire design was a highly enjoyable stitch. It was my first introduction to some techniques, including a few that differed slightly from the basic techniques taught in the curriculum.

Happy Stitching

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That's turned out well - and so satisfying to have gained a new understanding of a tricky stitch. So often I find the stitches that are the simplest to describe are the hardest to work well!