Sunday 26 December 2021

On the First Day of Christmas, Embroidery Gave to me ...

A Phoenix in a Pine tree

This project predates the pandemic and is a work in progress in hibernation but it is one that I would dearly like to get back to soon. The White Phoenix first appeared on the cover of Nuido, Summer 2016. It is an embroidered version of Old Pine and White Phoenix by Ito Jakucho (1716 - 1800) and forms a pair with The White Peacock that appeared on the cover of Nuido, Spring 2015.

I totally fell in love with both designs, so was delighted that the design was taught as an Advanced Class at High Leigh Conference Centre, Hoddesdon, in August 2017. I purchased both the Phoenix and Peacock at the same time to ensure that I had both on the same fabric which is nishjin, special gold. Special gold, in this case, means that the fabric is overdyed. I choose not to have the design printed in colour (giving you the option of not embroidering some elements) or the optional gold leaf.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

High Leigh was originally built in 1853 bought by banker Christian Robert Barclay in 1871. Its beautiful Victorian façade, its largely preserved period interiors, and its beautiful grounds could be the setting for a costume drama. It has been extended and converted into a versatile conference centre with on site accommodation and catering.

The Phoenix is a challenging design both in its size and the variety of techniques employed. While most of the stitches are ones with which I was already familiar, on this piece they are combined in new and interesting ways.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

This was my first opportunity to learn directly from Arata Tamura-sensia and a great opportunity for me to focus on some of my weaker skills and redress some of the poor habits that I have developed. We began each day with a lecture either related to Ito Jakucho and his painting, or to Nuido, the Way of Embroidery. Throughout the day there were demonstrations of the specific techniques applied to each part of the design followed by stitching time when we could put into practice what had been learned.

It was an intensive week but, as is often the case, I did not seem to achieve much stitching. What I did achieve, I think, was some of my best stitch to that point. I had one or two a-ha moments when I grasped something more fully than ever before. I came away energized and with a renewed passion for Japanese Embroidery. I continued to stitch on the Phoenix for sometime after returning home and made reasonable progress but it is a huge piece and my stitching time was limited. We had visitors in the following summer that required me to clear my sewing room so that it could be used as a guest room. When they departed, I was strongly tempted to carry on with the Phoenix but decided instead to try to make head way with Sake Boxes which, I am pleased to say, I did. I think the course and my enjoyment of stitching the Phoenix facilitated that.
© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

At some point, I plan to write more detailed posts about the parts that I have worked on and record the techniques that I have been enjoying.

Happy Stitching.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a deeply beautiful piece to stitch, and full of challenges. When you do begin work on it, I’m sure you will benefit from your increased skill and knowledge, and will be personally happier with your finished piece. When finished and framed, this will most likely end up being one of your most treasured embroidery accomplishments.

Rachel said...

Goodness, that's going to be stunning when completed.

I think often courses are valuable, as you discovered, not for the stitching time so much as for the impetus and inspiration.

Fireflyinva said...

Wow, that's stunning! It will be fun to watch you work on it--slow can be good!

D1-D2 said...

I hope you keep working on this piece <3