Wednesday 1 October 2008

Chrysanthemum Leaves

Each chrysanthemum leaf has a horizontal foundation of flat silk. Horizontal means horizontal to the motif being stitched not to the fabric. It is a long time since I have done silk embroidery of any significance and my hand and eye are definitely out. I stitched and reverse stitched several times before I gradually began to get the feel for it again.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

This first leaf is nearly aligned with the weft threads of the fabric, near enough that they served as a guide for keeping my stitches parallel and evenly spaced.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The second leave is on a totally different angle and there was nothing to guide me. As I worked I could see that the direction of my stitches was gradually altering, first one way and then the other. By the time I had stitched half of the leaf the foundation looked a complete mess so I removed it.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Second time around I am much happier with the stitching.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Lines of couched gold are used to stitch the veins; this serves the dual purpose of securing the foundation stitches in place.

Happy Stitching

2 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

I would have ripped it out too and have on many occasions. Second one looks beautiful. Nice job -- it's all part of the journey...

Sarah E. said...

I really like how it finally turned out. The veins are a great touch!