Tuesday 9 September 2008

Karahana, finished but not Finished

Before going to Manchester for the Stitching and Creative Crafts Show and the day I returned, I’d managed a few hours stitching on Karahana.

I’d completed the outlines on the trefoils, before I left and made a start on the stems, which are worked in a line of staggered diagonals with #1 gold half hitched onto the needle. A line of staggered diagonals is the Japanese embroidery equivalent of stem stitch.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

After the weekend I worked the remaining stems and redid the outlines of the two completed leaves. I’m much happier with how they look now.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

With only the top stem and leaf to finish, I was confident that Karahana would be complete by the end of the week! Never count your chickens!

It was Sunday before I was able to hold a needle again and then only for a few minutes at a time. Fortunately, all that remained was not time consuming; 30 minutes stitching in the morning was sufficient to couch the top stem and later that day I was able to complete the final leaf.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

It is very satisfying to see the gold work complete on Karahana, I have thoroughly enjoyed stitching her. All that remains now is a little 'finishing' before I do the actual finishing process and mounting.

Happy Stitching

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This goldwork piece is so very reminiscent of the olden style of medieval times. It has a true original look in the shapes, as seen in old books of samples from the past. I absolutely love the look of the project. You should be very proud of it. The execution of the handwork is superb. Good luck and have fun stitching!

Elizabeth Braun said...

Beautiful! Well done!=)

Just like my latest finish in that the fancy work is done and it just needs the finishing into something, although mine's not as impressive as yours being only hardanger.=)

Will you be at the winter M'cr fair? I feel certain I will be this time, esp. as Hobbycrafts is not with Fashion, Embroidery & Stitch in H'gate this Oct.=(

Susan Elliott said...

Woohooo! I am jumping up and down for you over here!! It's like birthing a baby when you finish a JE project and you have an absolutely perfect addition to your family. Congratulations!

Moonsilk Stitches said...

Congratulations. It's been great fun following your progress on this piece. Absolutely lovely work. Marjorie

Mary Corbet said...

Oooooooooooh. It's soooo pretty! I love it! The stitching is perfect, Carol-Anne. I bet you're really proud of it! (You should be!)