Tuesday 1 November 2011

Progress Report – November

I’ve put in just over 80 hours on Floral Melody to date, which means that I did a little over 10 hours last month. That is well short of my target but when I look at the difference between the October picture and this one, I seem to have made a lot of progress. I thought that the smaller motifs would go in quickly but I am amazed at how much I done in such a small amount of time. Most of the small flowers are done, only a dozen or so remain, then I will start of the leaves and stems. Completion by Christmas seems a realistic target now and I’m still enjoying this piece immensely.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I’ve also made some progress on the Chinese Flower. Again, I have not done as much as I would have hoped. I’ve nearly completed lesson three and am pleased with what I have done so far.

© Trish Burr/Carol-Anne Conway

I had a four day Japanese Embroidery class at the end of the month. I took Camellias with me to work on. With all that I have learnt from the Floral Glove, Chinese Flower and the lesson with Phillipa Turnbull I was feeling quite confident about working on this Phase again. That is until I got started, then all of my doubts and anxiety about LSS came rushing back. I really don’t understand why I get so stressed about it. I completed the two tone flower on the right-hand side. I don’t like it but I won’t be removing it because I honestly don’t think that I can do any better at this stage of my journey.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

So as not to leave the month on that pessimistic note, I had a great time at class. It was wonderful to spend some time with friends just stitching. Plus, starting tomorrow, I have a two day class in gold work with Hazel Everett to look forward to :-D.

Happy Stitching

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I think the camellia is beautiful. Perhaps you are projecting some of your anxieties onto it? Because that is an awfully pretty flower to dislike.

Susan Elliott said...

OK. Hannah's comment just made me smile. I like the way Hannah thinks...so after I finish telling you how much I love your devotion and your skill with the needle, I'm going to click over to find out a bit more about her...

Seeing your beading progression is like watching flowers bloom in slow motion photography. Wonderful! And ALL your thread painting is beautiful. Sometimes we can get so caught up in the minutae that we forget to step back and admire the complete picture.

Your complete picture is pretty great. I'm often reminded of this when I admire antique embroideries. They are often much further from perfect than any of your work...and yet they are stunning. So is your work. Just click over and read your own blog every now and then...it's a real visual treat....the best kind...xo Susan

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

You are being way to critical of yourself. The camellias are beautiful!

I agree with Susan - it is so nice to see your progress on the beaded flowers. Your photography is very good, consistent from one photo to the next - very much unlike mine. Keep up the good work and stop and admire it!

Rachel said...

I think you underestimate your abilities - not to mention overstating any slight errors you think you see. As Susan said, visit your own blog occasionally, and start to realise how good you really are!