Following a very busy Christmas period, J and I headed for Amsterdam to spend the New Year with his sister. We like to get out and about as much as possible while there but I always take some stitching with me in case the weather makes staying indoors a more attractive option. Japanese Embroidery is not terribly portable nor is it a very sociable activity (unless shared with other Japanese Embroideries). I prefer to take something that I can pick up and put down easily. This year, I took my Sumptuous Surfaces sampler.
Between short forays in below freezing conditions, I filled an area of the first sampler with eyelet stitches.
Most of the stitches are worked in Mulberry Silks. I've tried to vary the size and shape of the eyelets as well as the threads. I started by scattering some larger eyelets around.
And then added more and more until I had filled the entire area. In a few gaps, too narrow to work an eyelet, I have worked a satin stitch block.
I am beginning to feel more comfortable with random. I suppose like most things, the more you practice it, the easier it becomes. Gradually I am becoming more willing to put my hand into the bag of threads and work with which ever presents itself.