Thursday 27 September 2007

Designing Me

In some respects it easy to design something that represents yourself. I know my favourite colours, designs and stitches. It would be tempting to simply include my all my favourite things, but it is important that this butterfly balances with the others.

In other respects it is hard to design something that represents yourself. While designing the other butterflies, I have thought deeply about the family member they represent; their character, characteristics they share with other members of the family, and my relationship with them. I thought just as deeply about myself while designing my butterfly, and in many ways it is harder to be honest about yourself, and more painful. It is no revelation to me that I am a lot like my Dad, I’ve known that for a long time. For a very long time, I rejected the idea, who wants to be like someone they don’t always like. Eventually, I accepted that is the way it is and there is nothing I can do to change that, other than learn to moderate the characteristics I don’t like. I also realise that some of my best characteristics are also inherited from Dad.

Physically, I resemble my Mum, people always remark on it. I’m not sure what personality I inherit from her. We have the best relationship, I don’t analyse it, I’m simply very happy that she is my Mum and my mate.

So, I have to have purple because it is my favourite colour. Actually, I love all colours and my favourite can change according to mood, but purple is my favourite favourite. Because I look so much like my Mum, I will include a lot of pink and because I am finally proud to say that I am like my Dad, I will include gold to represent the best of him.

No comments: