About six weeks ago I took part in a Francis Pickering workshop. Whilst talking about her own work, Francis told us that she usually dyes all her own threads to match her colour theme. I decided to have a go myself and purchased a range of undyed silk and cotton threads, some white silk ribbon, and some dye. This weekend I managed to find some time to play a little. I first did a test on some Coats crochet cotton. I was pleased with the resulting pale turquoise and lilac. Encouraged I divided the treads into three batches. I dyed one batch each with the turquoise and lilac dye. The third batch I used both dyes one at each end of the dish, blending them in the middle. After setting the dye and washing them, I found that the colour was much more intense on the silk than on the cotton. The colours, especially the purple are beautiful, but not what I had intended at all. Never mind, a friend of mine says that things like this are not mistakes, but design opportunities!