Wednesday 5 November 2014

20/21 Sampler

Following the great success of The Big Stitch in 2012, the Ashmolean Museum and the Embroiderer’s Guild decided to host a second day in conjunction with the Eye of the Needle exhibition. As part of that event, SEW Region held a members’ competition to create a "Modern Sampler".

© Carol-Anne Conway

There were two sections to the competition, one for individuals, and one for group entries. I took part in a group entry from the Oxford Branch. Under the rules we could enter either individual 'tiles' combined to form a finished piece maximum size A3, or a book (either concertina style or spine bound) of 5 individual 'pages' including the covers. Each page maximum size A5 and we could use both sides of each page if we wished.

© Carol-Anne Conway

We decided on the concertina book option and 10 people signed up to each complete a page. The name of the competition was 20/21 sampler so we decided to do 5 pages based on the number 20 and five based on the number 21.

© Carol-Anne Conway

Rule #1 of the competition stated that "The 20/21 in the title refers to 20th and 21st century so any images, motifs, alphabets, individual letters or numbers used must be from that time period". We chose traditional typefaces or those that reflected early 20th century for the 20 pages and these were embroidered using traditional hand embroidery techniques that were relevant to that period. We used contemporary typefaces and embroidery/textile art techniques for the 21 pages. Each participant decided how to embroider their page but we conferred to ensure that no two pages used the same technique.

© Carol-Anne Conway

I decided to do my '20' page in canvas work. I took my inspiration from a couple of pieces shown the "Canvaswork – RSN Essential Stitch Guild" and all of the stitches I used came from that book. Rule #2 stated that "Any combination of techniques or stitches can be used but the piece must show a variety of at least 6. You can use more if you wish". We had already covered the "at least 6" criterion but having 10 different techniques but I wanted my page to include at least 6 different stitches. All the stitches I used were chosen to work on the diagonal line.

© Carol-Anne Conway

Rule #3 said "Any colour(s) can be used." I decided to work in monotone so the focus would be on texture rather than colour.

© Carol-Anne Conway

As usual, I seriously under estimated that amount of time it would take and came perilously close to missing the deadline for submission. As I had suggested that Oxford Branch submit a group entry and coordinated the project, I would have been very shame face to have let the others down so had to work furiously every spare minute to make sure I completed on time!

© Carol-Anne Conway

The other participants submitted beautiful pages and I think we covered a good range of traditional and contemporary embroidery/textile art. Their pages can be seen on the Oxford Embroiderer's Guild blog. I'm delighted to say that our entry won the group category and I am absolutely certain that had nothing to do with the fact that it was the only entry!

© Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It looks lovely - and yes, the textures are wonderful!