Wednesday 19 September 2012

Heavy Chain Stitch

Heavy chain is a variation of reverse chain stitch. I have probably done it before but I am still getting used to the feel of the metallic threads, especially the heavier #371 gold wire. I practiced the stitch on my doodle cloth with both the imitation wire and the #371 before working the stitch on my sampler.

© Carol-Anne Conway

Heavy Chain Stitch
© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

Heavy chain in #345 silver wire is used to create the leaf veins on the large flower. I like the delicacy of the stitch done in this thread. The main difficulty I had stitching this was catching the silk of the surrounding Queen stitches with the extremely sharp Japanese needle.

© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

1 comment:

Rachel said...

The Japanese needle is very sharp, but it doesn't damage the thread as much. I'm quite converted to them!