Monday 12 March 2012

Camellias - Leaves

It turned out that stitching flat silk foundations was the tonic that I needed.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

After a few sessions working solely on leaves I was beginning to look forward to working long and short stitch on the white flower; so much so that I decided to leave it to last. I know that sounds a little bizarre but I always like to keep something special for the end of a project. I find having something to look forward to helps me to get me through the more mundane techniques – not that I am finding anything about Camellias mundane.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

All of the silk leaves are done in one of two shades of green.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Some of them have a line of held thread along the central vein; some of them have a little short stitch holding.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

There is so little variation in the colour or techniques used, yet there is so much variety in the appearance of the leaves.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway


This is just one of the many reasons Japanese embroidery delights me.

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

Rachel said...

It does seem that Japanese embroidery takes the fullest advantage of the differences created simply by stitch orientations!

charlotte2 said...

Lovely

Sue said...

Beautiful and even more when you you see it for real. Thank you for sharing from sue X