Thursday 14 April 2011

A Glittering Shell

With the body complete, the snail needs a few features. The top of his head is finished with a row of split stitch in pink silk. A single strand of Soie de Paris is used to stitch his antenna and a single French knot in cream silk makes his eye.

© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

Just as a real snail's is, the shell is a spiral. The foundation is a thick twisted silk cord which is couched with spaced stitches of alternating pink and orange Soie Ovale.

© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

The spaces between the silk couching stitches are filled with short pieces of silver check. This is what makes him glitter!

© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

I had great fun stitching this and I think that it is totally cute but, if I were to be critical:

his tail is far too dumpy - my fault not the design, snails have pointy tails and so does the design;
his eye is a mess, isn't that the sloppiest French knot you ever did see?;
I would have liked to space the pink and orange stitches more evenly so the silver check covered the yellow core better.

But, do you know what, I don't care about his dumpy tail or wonky eye. As I said, he is great fun to stitch, I love the speciality threads used and he was my stitchy respite in a very intense week.

The cord was a quick and easy project for one evening ...


... as was the tassel ...


... and over a couple more evenings I was able to do the finishing. Again, if I were to be critical, he is not very central but that is another part of his quirky cuteness.

© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

Our windows lock with tiny keys that are easy misplaced. These nibbles make great key keepers.

Happy Stitching

2 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

wow, I think your snail is absolutely beautiful. lovely stitching. Hugs Judy

Rachel said...

He's come out very well, and I think having the silk cord showing as well as the couching stitches and the check purl adds the the variation and interest in the piece.