Thursday 26 February 2009

Play Days - Part 1

While J was playing bar billiards at tournaments Saturday and Sunday, I got some playtime of my own.

I took some scraps of brown lining fabric and began by applying gold acrylic paint and bronze wax. On the first sample I applied first the paint and then the wax to the fabric and spread it with a brush using a brushing action. This applied a thick, even layer of colour.


On the second sample I applied the paint to the brush and brushed this onto the fabric, again in a brushing action. I then applied the wax in the same manner. This gave a light application of paint/wax but with a similar appearance to sample 1.


For the third sample I again applied the paint to the brush but this time I applied it to the fabric by stippling and repeated this with the wax. This was the slowest method but produced a more textured effect. Of the three samples this is the one I like best.


I allowed the samples to dry over night before continuing. Using Markal Paintstiks in orange, yellow, purple, blue and two shades of green, I made random marks all over the surface. I tried to blend the lines with a dry brush, with out much success, so I applied dots of the gold acrylic and bronze wax used previously and stippling all over the fabric to blend the colours.




I can no longer distinguish between samples 1 and 2 but sample three remains my favourite.

Happy Stitching

1 comment:

Susan Elliott said...

Love love the idea of play days!! Good for you...you have me intrigued though...what will you be doing with it? And why wax?