Tuesday 18 March 2008

February TIF - Stitching 2

I had such fun stitching a small part of the main motif yesterday evening.

I wanted the background to be totally flat and the foreground to be slightly textured. The main part of the motif I hope to make more textured but this part needed movement and direction. In an effort to show that I have used linear stitches: back stitch, stem stitch and chain stitch mainly. However, I did not want a stripy effect, so I mixed up segments of each stitch in various lengths, then I started whipping and wrapping the foundation stitches, again varying the colours and techniques. I also used Pekinese stitch in places to vary the texture.

Looking at the enlarged picture, I can see that there are still some lines of solid colour, so I may go back into these with more stitching, but overall I am very pleased with how it looks.


I am so excited that I have done something so random and spontaneous. Now I can’t wait to get started on the main area of the motif and try out some of the ideas I have for creating the texture I am looking for there.

Happy Stitching

No comments: