Wednesday 21 March 2007

Vernal Equinox

At 00:07 today the relative position of the sun to the earth passed from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere, so for every one living north of the equator it is now SPRING!

I don’t know why, but I feel a little tinge of excitement over the equinox or solstice days. The winter solstice is my favourite day of the year, because from then on the days get longer. The summer solstice would be my favourite day for being the longest but for the disappointment of shorter days to come.

I feel a similar excitement for full moons and new moons.

Yesterday evening, driving home, I suddenly noticed the tiniest slither of new moon ahead of me. There was patchy cloud and I think that it had been hidden behind a cloud previously. It occurred to me that I have never witnessed the moment when the moon emerges from the earth’s shadow and the new moon first appears. Call me sad but I would find that exciting.

I have a certain empathy for the sun, the moon and all things celestial, perhaps that is why I find Stonehenge such a fascinating and alluring place. Pat, on Altering Thoughts stitched Stonehenge for the Up and Down Buttonhole TAST. It is lovely, and I wish that I had thought of it.

Happy Spring if live on the top half of our little planet. If you are down under, Happy Autumn.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Ah, but the trick is to live in the present, not the shadow of the future. =)

I don't think it's sad. New birth, the moon coming round, all new things, speak of possibility.