Sunday 8 January 2012

TAST Fly Stitch 2

It seems a little strange to be doing TAST again. TAST was the incentive behind this blog in the first place. First time around I fully intended to do each stitch within the week that it was assigned but, of course, life and my natural propensity to take on more than I can realistically manage defeated me.

This time around, I intend to be far more relaxed about it. My aim is to complete some of the stitches that I missed first time around and, if I have the time, to experiment a little with stitches that I am already familiar with.

The first stitch for TAST 2012 is fly stitch. This is one of the stitches that I did in the first round, so I set aside one evening to play with the stitch.

I would have liked to show you the inspiration for my experiment but I cannot find the picture of it. It is a small sample of Japanese embroidery but the only image that I had to go by was my memory.

I began by working large fly stitches within a defined area.


I then divided the spaces between the stitches with more fly stitch.


And so on until I felt that the entire space was filled.


This certainly does not match up to my mental image of the original but I think that the effect is reasonably pleasing.

You can see what others have done with Fly Stitch by reading through the comments section of Take a Stitch Tuesday, Week 1.

Happy Stitching

11 comments:

bluemuf said...

What a lovely way to use the stitch

Karen

m said...

I like this a lot! It's a really interesting way to fill a large space in a seemingly random pattern that would be very difficult to do using straight stitches. However, the use of increasingly smaller fly stitches would (I imagine) allow you to do it with relative ease. Inspiring.

Marta Brysha said...

Sorry, I meant to leave my name and url in the previous comment.

silkandcolour.blogspot.com

shirley said...

This is such a great way to fill a space...I like the way you have all the stitches at different sizes and angles.

Study Accredited Online Colleges said...

Very useful post and good quality content. Its inspiring stuff.

Marjolein said...

I like it. I t reminds me of a mosaic. Eanch section could be filled with another TAST stitch.

Rachel said...

It rather reminds me of the pattern on a ginger jar in our local museum..

Raphaela said...

I want to thank you for coming up with this fly stitch variation which I like very much. I love skeleton leaves and made a couple of photos some time ago and I intended to translate them into stitch but never knew how to do it. Your fly stitches are the perfect solution. Thank you so much.

Thearica said...

Your fly stitch work is great! I didn't get started this week due to being out of town for the holidays and cannot wait to get home and start!

I also want to take a moment to invite you over to my blog to read about a quilt show I am hosting live on my blog beginning Feb 1. The show is called Crazy Quilts Are Quilts Too. The show is designed to bring awareness to all of us crazy quilters and the work we do! There are a host of fantastic prizes to be won! Hope you will come check out the information and hopefully participate!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com

Rhonda said...

I love it. I was finally able to go to town (we live 50 miles out)- and pick up some supplies. So I'm ready to start. Thanks for showing us the awesome design you did with this stitch.

Bette said...

Wow! What an effective use of the fly stitch. Will you be continuing on with this sample, taking it further?