Sunday 3 January 2010

These are a few of my favourite things

I've had a lovely few days in Amsterdam, enjoying some of my favourite things, and that's not counting food and wine!

Amsterdam boasts a great variety of museums. My favourite of these is the Van Gogh Museum. Vincent van Gogh was probably the first Artist I could name, but I was singularly unimpressed with the pictures I had seen of this paintings until I saw one for real at the National Gallery in London. Soon after that I visited the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and began to really appreciate his work. This year, I returned to the Museum for the third time to see the van Gogh's Letters exhibition. I loved learning more about the artist and his art through his writing.

I saw a brief glimpse of the Blue Moon on New Year's Eve between a gap in the clouds (or saw that smoke from all the fireworks).

On New Year's day we went for a walk on the beach. I simply love everything about the sea, the sound, the smell, the spray. The only thing I don't like is being on it in a boat! I was quite astonished to see how many people there were on the beach but I am told it is a popular Sunday afternoon (and New Year's Day) activity. As we ended out walk we watched the sun set beyond the water. Who doesn't love sunsets?


During the drive back to Amsterdam we watched the moon rise a huge, orange orb. I find the moon endlessly fascinating and unfailingly beautiful.

Finally, between eating, drinking, walking and visiting museums I found some time for stitching.


A lovely end to what has been the happiest year of my life (so far) and a bright beginning for the next 12 months.

Happy New Year.

7 comments:

tangoandcha said...

I've only recently found your blog - really looking forward to seeing what you do next! - and thank you for reminding me of the fantastic day my husband and I spent in the Van Gogh Museum ourselves. You're quite right - reproductions don't do Vincent justice at all!

Jane said...

An orange sissor fish, how lovely. I couldn't tell what the project was from your other post, but can recognise him now.
Glad you had a good visit to Amsterdam and the museum and great new year.

Susan Elliott said...

What a breath of fresh air...I feel like I was there with you. I'm so glad you're trip was full of all the things you love...it makes for a very settled beginning to the new year...full of endorphins and love for life...I can't think of a better way to start.

What's that fishy beading project? Is it a scissor holder??

Anonymous said...

Wishing you, at least, a Year 2010 so happy as 2009 :)

<hoping snowfall doesn't bring many troubles to you and yours

Sue said...

Hi from your snowed in friend in the south, Edward is lovely how are you getting one with him. May lots of Edwards at Manchester this year :-) Love you sunset I love them too. See you soon Sue X

Rachel Cotterill said...

I'm hoping to go to Amsterdam this year - any other 'must see' museums aside from the Van Gogh?

I found your blog looking for embroidery people... I'm going to start to teach myself in the not-too-distant future, so I hope you don't mind if I follow along for inspiration :)

Front Range Stitcher said...

Wishing you a Happy New Year from across the pond in Colorado! Though you seem not to need any well wishes you make your own dreams come true! Thank you for sharing this positive start to bring in the new year!