Sunday 1 January 2023

Happy New Year 2023

2022 has not been a bad year, certainly nothing (really) bad has happened and if you can get through a year and say that, it can’t be bad!

Stitching wise, it has been a great year! I have stitched nearly every day; I have stitched some wonderful projects; and I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my stitching.

I was offered a place on Jenny Adin-Christie’s Workshop days. Actually, I was offered a place a few years ago did not then feel able to take up the offer. When the offer was renewed this year, I thought I would make it work, no matter what, and I am so pleased that I did. Jennyland is a little bit magical.

Workshops are held in at cabinat the end of her garden. The first time I went there I was filled with a sense of déjà vu. On my first trip to Japan, we went in search of the Misuyabari needle shop. Misuyabari is in a busy market, down an inconspicuous allay way that leads to a small Japanese garden. Leaving the suburban street where Jenny lives, walking through her garden, and arriving in Jennyland gave me the same sense of entering Narnia. And that is only the start of the magic! Jennyland is full of wonderous things to inspire any lover of needlework. And Jenny is the Fairy godmother of all stitchers, making our stitching dreams come true!

In blogging terms, I started well. It is a bit of a Catch 22. If I am not stitching, I have nothing to blog; if I am stitching a lot, I would rather be stitching than blogging! Having said that, I blog mainly to keep a record for myself, a diary of sorts, and would like to keep it more up to date.

At the very least, I thought that I would have posted more of the Techniques of Japanese Embroidery. Much of my stitching time has gone into Kusudama and I am really enjoying it. Something has happened in the last two years where I feel my stitching has reached new levels; I understand things that I did not totally get before; I feel the needle, the thread, the stitches, more than ever before. I think that sounds nuts but it that is how I feel when stitching. I think I know why but I don’t feel ready to say it. It is still too raw!

So, looking forward! What is install for 2023? My priority is to finish Kusudama. What then? That certainly is not the end of my Japanese embroidery journey. Where will it take me next? I have a few WIPs that I would like to complete and several items in my stash that I would also like to tackle but there are also many things outside of JE that I really want to explore. My interest in historic embroidery grows and a project that that I signed up for several years ago whispers very loudly in my ear now that Kusudama is nearing completion. The greatest question is how do I balance these very different areas of embroidery interest?

One priority is to reconnect literally with my Japanese embroidery family. We have stayed in contact virtually, but lockdowns and distance have kept us apart for too long.

Bring it on 2023, I am excited to see what you have for me!

Happy Stitching!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how you balance all these embroidery interests. And don't be too bashful about the change in how you understand it all. There's no one but you close enough to how you stitch to perceive that sort of development!