Thursday 14 May 2020

Queen of Flowers - back to it

I really like this piece and the technique and cannot wait to get back to it but it is going to have to wait while I concentrate on something I am finding much more challenging.

I wrote those words in November 2014. And this is how Queen of Flowers looked at the time.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I did not imagine that it would take me four and a half years to get back to it! But when I did, I was obviously enjoying myself because this is the next photograph I took!

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Each Phase is designed to teach a specific technique but many of the phase pieces also include other techniques or there are many aspects to it as with goldwork, for example. The designs at Phase VIII are worked entirely in Fuzzy Effect (except for a few details) and there are just two aspects; vertically held valley lines and diagonally held valley lines. The technique relies on different thicknesses of thread and colour blending to build the picture.

Nuido, the Way of Embroidery, as taught by the Japanese Embroidery Center has three aspects: the acquisition of technical skills and knowledge (rationality), the development of artistic sensitivity and awareness (sensitivity), and understanding the spiritual aspects of shishu (spirituality), resulting in a state of peace, calm, and harmony. For me, the technical aspect of Fuzzy Effect was one of the easiest to learn; the sensitivity aspect was one of the most difficult.

The design comes with a suggested colour pallet but that is based on the dusky pink fabric used in the original. Having changed the background fabric, my colour pallet needed adjusting. I’m not very confident with colour selection and am happy to take guidance from my tutor. With my rudimentary understanding of colour theory, I know that bluey greens recede into the background and brighter, yellowy greens come forward. I combined this notion with the basic principle of the technique to use thinner threads, vertically held, in the background and thicker threads, diagonally held, in the foreground to create depth of field.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

4 comments:

Rachel said...

It can be very disconcerting to realise how long ago a particular project was started, can't it!

D1-D2 said...

I can't wait to get to this phase. The little taste of it I got on Hiogi was not enough.

The Primitive Moon said...

Piękny haft, chciałabym się nauczyć tych technik. Pozdrawiam z Polski.

coral-seas said...

Translation - Beautiful embroidery, I would like to learn these techniques. Greetings from Poland.

The Primitive Moon, thank you for your kind words.