Friday 13 March 2020

Sake Boxes - Buds

Sometimes, reaching a certain point in a design is so monumental that can feel like you have completed the entire piece. Sometimes that feeling of having finished can rob you of all enthusiasm for going on with the design. When I completed the gold work on the section of Sake Boxes where I had already completed the silk work, I certainly felt that I had reached a milestone. Fortunately, I felt energized and more than ready to push on with the rest.

What remained was a few pointed petal chrysanthemums (some in full bloom, like those I had already stitched, and some partially opened or in bud) and a scattering of leaves. I was particularly looking forward to stitching the buds and partially opened flowers.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I always enjoy stitching padded elements. It literally adds another dimension to the embroidery. The unopened buds are highly padded and look deliciously plump! You can see from the shadow on how rounded this one is.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I did not add as many layers of padding to these buds as I did not want them to be more prominent than the partially opened flower on the same stem.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

As with the fully opened blossoms, some of the petals on the partially opened blooms are padded.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I enjoyed stitching these and think that they really add to the overall appeal of the design.

Happy Stitching.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Padding does do some rather wonderful things, doesn't it!

D1-D2 said...

I know what you mean when you finish a monumental task on a piece :) Your piece is beautiful. I got the chance to visit my teacher in her home and see a sake box up close. I can't wait to get through my phases so I can stitch my very own.