Tuesday 5 January 2016

Pushmi-pullyu

I’m not one for making New Year resolutions but, at this time of year, I like to take a look back at the previous twelve months and forward to the coming year.

A quick glance at my blog for 2015 (a merge 14 posts) might suggest that little happened and that I spent most of my time mourning my absent mojo but this is not totally accurate. It is true that I ran out of steam where Japanese embroidery is concerned – or probably more accurately where Sake Boxes is concerned. There has been some stitching in my life. I have attended some classes and workshops,.I have even taught An Introduction to Japanese Bead Embroidery – twice. I also enrolled in a few online classes, one I participated in but the others I have added to my stash.

Looking back on the year, I would say it has been a good one, even if I have spent less time stitching than I would have liked. About three years ago I joined the then newly formed book club at work and this has rekindled my love of reading, an occupation not conducive to embroidery. Before joining the book club, I read mostly Historical Novels and these remain a favourite genre. Book club has introduced me to books I would never have considered but find I enjoy and, for most of the books we have read, there has been a sequel or an other title by the same other that I have wanted to read. My reading list just keeps growing!

© Carol-Anne Conway
Dragonfly Scissor Case - An Introduction to Japanese Bead Embroidery

But the biggest drain on my stitching time has been the Harley. While we have not had the hottest or sunniest summer on record, we have had a lot of fine weekends and, when weather permits, all J wants to do is go out on the Harley. We have had some lovely days out and a glorious weekend in the Lake District when the sun did shine, contrary to the weather forecast. J is hoping for more trips out on his beloved Harley this year and even a short biking holiday.

J playing pee-po at Castlerigg Stone Circle near Keswick

So, looking ahead to 2016, I have a dilemma; there are so many things I want to be doing! I have a real yen to resume my Japanese embroidery. I’ve been thinking about Sake Boxes a lot lately; why I have stalled with it and how to overcome the obstacle. I have two projects for the Embroiderers’ Guild to work on; one required soon (argh!) and one for mid-April. I really want to do some more bead embroidery and I have a particular project nagging at me. And I have a whole list of other embroidery projects I would like to do. All I have to do is figure out how I can do my stitching on the back of a motor bike while listen to a talking book!

Happy New Year!

7 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

I feel your pain! But I don't think embroidering on the back of a Harley is going to work. Just a feeling. I, too, love to read, and have just started on Horatio Hornblower. But I'm reading, not listening, so I can't embroider at the same time. Good luck in sorting out all your activities! and Happy New Year!

D1-D2 said...

That happens to me from time to time as well. I just got off a reading binge and completely wasted 2 weeks of perfectly good stitching time, but oh well. Speaking of Japanese Bead Embroidery, do you happen to know if someone is teaching it in North America?

Rachel said...

I have to say, I can't imagine stitching successfully on the back of a Harley, but who knows, you may have a brainwave and work out how to do it!

charlotte2 said...

I know what you mean, I've spent a lot of time this year doing church finances. I will get back to my embroidery. I've book in to Midori class next month, so fingers crossed I may be able to start soon.

Favo de Mel said...

Passando para desejar um dia de felicidades.

Anonymous said...

Dear Carol-Anne, you cannot stitch while riding on the back of a Harley. It's not possible. I don't think it's even possible to KNIT while riding on the back of a Harley, or any other motorcycle. (My husband finally had to give up his last motorcycle a few years ago, due to tendonitis and carpal tunnel . . . it was a mourning process. I did take along a very small tatting project, on a couple trips [there's very little luggage space on a motorcycle, after you load an overnight bag and a couple sleeping bags! - it basically had to fit in my jacket pocket.]) Just think of stitching time as the silver lining to the winter rains . . . oops, that probably didn't come out right, given the kind of winter England's been having! I'm sorry!

Anonymous said...

I always view rainy days as stitching days - having discovered your blog I am now giving some time to reading more!