Monday 21 February 2011

Poppy Pouch, side two

I rarely enjoy making or embroidering the same thing twice. Stitching the second side of Poppy Pouch is feeling a bit of a chore but I have been chipping away doing a few minutes most mornings and a little longer when I get the chance.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I like to think that I learnt something on the first side and that my stitching has improved. Certainly, I think the rows of couching look more consistent with fewer gaps between the beads. I don’t think there is any visible difference in my stitching on the flowers but it feels very different. At first I found it difficult to judge where to bring my needle up so that the beads would be correctly positioned, it could take 2 or 3 attempts to get it right. Now I often get it right first time and when I don’t, a second attempt is usually all that is needed. I am also getting better at judging how many beads are required to fill a space. I am much less inclined to try to cram in one more bead. All in all, I feel it is coming more naturally to me.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Although I had a lot of stitching time this weekend, I did not make as much progress with Poppy Pouch as I hoped. I could not really settle to it and kept looking for other things to do. I also had a little time for stitching this morning. I knew that I could not stitch a whole petal in the time available but thought that I would be able to manage the small leaf. I really enjoy doing these leaves and they look very 'leafy' when they are done. The stitching went well and I was able to complete it without rushing. A very satisfying morning’s stitch!

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

8 comments:

MeganH said...

Just lovely!

Angela said...

I can understand what you are saying about repeating a project, but I think you're handling it in a great way. A little at a time and it'll soon come together, and you'll be so pleased with the finished pouch it'll all be worth it. :)

Jane said...

This is lovely CA, and it does seem like doing the second side is helping to improve your stitching. Looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

That is so beautiful.
Smiles,
Pat

bubbygigi said...

Your work is beautiful. I can't wait to see the completed pouch.
Gita

Tangled Stitch said...

This is really beautiful and so precise! Love it!

Rachel said...

I, too, have trouble with repeats, but it is good to hear that you are finding the work easier the second time around!

Sue said...

Wow its growing and looking lovely can't wait to see finished and for really LOL Sue N XXX