Monday 19 February 2007

Cords and Tassels

For me the cords on Suehiro where the most challenging element. I find it more difficult to get shorter stitches parallel and evenly spaced. To add to the difficultly, the cords are curved and the angle of the stitches gradually rotates to follow the centre line.

There are two different cord effects here. The "imitation wicker" is worked in two steps. First a diagonal foundation is worked in twisted silk, and then a pair of gold thread is used to stitch the cord effect on top of the foundation.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The other cord is called "single central cord". You first make four diagonal stitches across the cord and then work four stitches across these in the opposite direction. Continuing in this way for the length of the cord creates a woven effect. The placement of these stitches is critical otherwise the effect is off centre. Equally important is spacing the stitches evenly so that the bands are a similar width each time. It took me several attempts to get this to a point that I was satisfied with.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

By comparison, the tassels were simple to stitch. Each has a flat silk horizontal foundation. A tightly twisted thread is couched into place to create the tassels.

Although it can be frustrating when things don’t go right immediately, I do enjoy stitching something more challenging and it is very satisfying when you know that you have pushed yourself to achieve more.

On this Phase, I have learnt new techniques and I have concentrated on improving my stitching. I can see where I need to make further improvement and will work on that in Phase III, but I can see an improvement on my Phase I work and that pleases me.

As I said to begin with, I enjoyed every moment of this project and I think the design is very attractive. I will be pleased to have this framed and hanging on the wall.

Happy Stitching

No comments: